Year 5 have safely returned from a fabulous three days across the Channel enjoying the sights of Normandy.  The outbound crossing was rather rough, but most developed sturdy sea legs by the time we arrived. A blustery visit to the German Battery ensured that all cobwebs were blown away.

The gite where we stayed was really fabulous and everyone settled into their new rooms happily. The boys even enjoying a rather splendid mezzanine for a couple of them. Mathieu, our host and owner of the gite, looked after us admirably, cooking delicious food each night and tasty baguette packed lunches every day. He has looked after us for many years and he really feels part of the Lyndhurst family.

Day two was busy. After a great night’s sleep and delicious petit dejeuner, we travelled to Bayeux and visited the Tapestry – AMAZING and had a bit of retail therapy at the market – great purchases made all round. We then travelled to the Ranville Cemetery and witnessed a memorial service for the paratroop regiments from all allied forces. The children spend quite some time walking around the stones and taking in the ages of the men who had so selfless lost their lives. We then travelled onto Pegasus Bridge for a tour, film and walk around the museum.

Back at the gite, another delicious dinner and then the Unique Talent Show.

After another peaceful night’s sleep, it was packing, our final meal with Mathieu and then we started to head home. We visited the Graindourge Cheese Factory – where we saw the cheeses being made, matured and packed. A tasting session afterwards voted Camembert as the favourite. Then onto the farm where Jacqueline (one of the farmers who supplies the factory with milk) gave us a tour of her farm – the children had the opportunity to visit the calves and get close up and meet them properly. We also met pigs, a llama, and a menagerie of geese, chickens and other wildfowl. The two donkeys were very cute! The tour ended with an apple juice tasting  and then a lovely picnic in the sunshine ended our time on French soil.

Onto the ferry, and despite being delayed by over an hour the children took this in their stride. Many Veterans were on board and congratulated us on the children’s behaviour.

A very tired but happy group of children were met by smiling parents at past midnight. They all come back a little bit more grown up, capable and knowing that they made it!